The Journey to the Cross and the Miracle
Ash Wednesday (3/1)
There will be two opportunities to gather in solemn community, to prepare for the road ahead and to receive the Imposition of Ashes.
8:30 am Breakfast: King Hall on March 1, 2017 for a breakfast, a time of prayer and the Imposition of Ashes.
7:00 pm Service of Ashes: We begin the 40 day season of Lent together in solemn thought of the sacrifice that is to come. This is an important part of the journey towards the resurrection of Easter. Be in worship in the sanctuary for an hour of contemplation, culminating in the Imposition of Ashes.
Lent Wednesday Series: The Origins of Faith
Wednesday evenings during Lent are a time to be together in community and learning. Soup and salad fellowship dinners are offered at each evening at 6:00 pm with a reservation. These evenings are open to everyone.
The Origins of Faith class and discussion begins at 6:45 pm and is led by Ann Marie Bryan.
Week 1: The Origins of Hinduism in South East Asia (3/8/17)
Week 2: Buddhism, the Religion of the Silk Roads (3/15/17)
Week 3: Zoroastrianism, An Ancient Persian Religion of Salvation (3/22/17)
Week 4: Sunni Islam, The Origins of Islam and the Early Split Between Shi'a and Sunni Islam (3/29/17)
Week 5: Shi'a Islam of Iran, Origins and Beliefs that Endure Today (4/5/17)
- A little about Ann Marie Bryan:
Instructor of History at Grossmont College where she teaches World History and Western Civilization.
- Co-developer of the Grossmont College - Cuyamaca College Archival and Oral History Project.
- US Government instructor at Torah High School - an Affiliate of the Rabbinical Seminary
- Taught at Alliant International University.
- Master's Degree in History from San Diego State University
- Bachelor's Degree in both Economics and International Relations from UC Davis
- Former enthusiastic member of Foothills UMC where she taught Sunday school and served on SPRC.
- Current member of Saint Paul's UMC where she serves on the SPRC.
Good Friday Meditation (4/14 from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm)
The doors to the sacred space of the sanctuary will be open to all and Pastor Eric will be available within to help guide seekers in quiet, silent and private meditation, reflection and prayer.
Easter Sunday 4/16
Easter details coming soon.