Methodists in Motion at Relay for Life
By: Lisa Stewart
Methodists in Motion Saturday, May 4!
Methodist congregations in our mission area are joining forces to fight cancer by participating in the East County Relay for Life on Saturday, May 4 at Greenfield Middle School, 1495 Greenfield Dr, El Cajon, CA 92020.
Ways you can help before May 4:
- Purchase a luminaria in honor or in memory of a loved one who has battled cancer. You can pick up an order form at the Relay for Life table on the patio or donate online.
- Donate a silent auction item for Team Methodists in Motion to auction off. Bring your item and a description, including its value, to the Foothills UMC church office no later than Wednesday, May 1.
- Make a donation to the American Cancer Society through this link our team at or by picking up a donation form at the Relay for Life table on the patio.
- Sign up to cook spaghetti dinner for the event at Chapel of the Valley Methodist Church (1465 E Madison Ave, El Cajon, CA 92019), transport the food to Greenfield Middle School, and/or clean up after (cook 4::00-5:30pm, serve 5:30-7:30pm, clean up 7:30--8:30pm). If you can help, contact Pastor Julie or call the Chapel of the Valley office at 619/444-2600
Ways you can help on May 4:
- 9:00-10:00am May 4: If you are a cancer survivor (whether you are currently in treatment, have finished treatment or got the “all clear” years ago), please consider attending the opening ceremony and survivor’s ceremony and lap from 9-10am. Caregivers and family members are also encouraged to attend these ceremonies. Survivors are the reason for Relay for Life because you give others hope! You can also be a resource to someone who has been recently diagnosed.
- 10:00am – 9:00pm May 4: Take a turn being at the Methodists in Motion booth at the event. At our booth, we are sponsoring a prayer wall where people can come and write names of their loved ones or prayer concerns. We need people to pray for those people named on the prayer wall.
- 10:00am – 9:00pm May 4: Take a turn walking around the track at the event. The event is called a Relay because we all take turns walking laps. Bring money to purchase fundraiser items (food, games, clothing) at the event and/or bid on a silent auction item.
- 4:00-5:30pm May 4: Help cook spaghetti dinner for the event at Chapel of the Valley Methodist Church (1465 E Madison Ave, El Cajon, CA 92019) and transport the food to Greenfield Middle School.
- 5:30-7:30pm May 4: Sell and serve the spaghetti dinner at the event at Greenfield Middle School.
- 7:30-8:30pm May 4: Help clean up the dinner booth at the event and return to the church to clean up the Chapel of the Valley kitchen.
- 9:00-10:00pm May 4: Attend the Luminaria Ceremony to remember those who have passed away from cancer. There will be a live bagpiper playing during the lap of remembrance.